Lemon Poppyseed Biscotti (Mandelbread)
Crispy double baked lemon-poppy seed cookie.
The cookie recipe is inspired by Judy Zeider (The Gourmet Jewish Cook)
Biscotti and Mandelbread are easy to make. No special equipment required other than mixing bowls, spoons, parchment paper and a baking sheet. No need to own an electric mixer.
Choreography: Easy!! Mix the dough, no waiting, shape, bake, slice, bake again and voila! The best biscotti you've ever had.
1 c sugar
1 c neutral oil (I use canola)
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp lemon oil
zest of one lemon
4 c all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 c poppy seeds
1/2 c lemon baking chips (optional)
- Measure all ingredients, preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Mix the sugar and oil completely. Add the flavorings, salt, and zest and continue to mix
- Combine the flour and baking powder
- Add the flour into the egg mixture. Stir until about half integrated and add poppy seeds and chips. Mix well
- Divide into 3 portions. Form into logs on parchment lined cookie sheet
- Slip the cookie sheet into the oven, lower the heat to 350 degrees and partially bake for approximately 25 minutes
- Remove the cookie pan and working quickly, slice the cookie bar into 1/2 inch slices. Slip back into the oven and continue to bake for 15 minutes. Turn off the oven and cool the cookies in the oven.
- Cool and store in a closed container for 2-3 days at room temperature. If the cookies are left for longer, store, covered, in the refrigerator. Alternately, double wrap and freeze the cookies.