Frozen Peach Dessert
Its summer, it's hot (3rd day of a heat advisory in our area) and Shabbat is coming. We've been living without a working kitchen for months, but now that we're back in the kitchen, even with air conditioning, it's unpleasant to bake.
We purchased a container of Trader Joe's non-dairy cherry-chocolate chunk non dairy frozen dessert, but there are gorgeous, slightly under-ripe peaches in our fridge. There is no crime to have two flavors of non dairy ice cream for dessert, is there?
I made this frozen dessert with unsweetened almond-coconut milk. I would think you can use your favorite (soy? rice? hemp? almond?) . The consistency of this peach dessert is not creamy or smooth, it's more reminiscent of a chunky fruit sorbet. The yield is a bit more than a quart.
Plan ahead and keep your ingredients very cold:
Making frozen ice cream, sorbet, ices, non-dairy ice "cream" in a regular ice cream maker requires that you have the space and remember to keep the freezer container frozen. There are options for more expensive machines that house a freezer unit within the machine, although there is a dramatic price difference.
Pre-freezing will take at least 12 hours, although in my chest freezer I like to have the container frozen at least 24 hours. I have two containers and paddles for my Cuisinart ice cream maker, for dairy and non-dairy recipes.
Prep your ingredients and then chill them at least 6-8 hours. I often prep the ingredients and then chill them overnight.
measuring spoons, cups, silicone spatula
food processor, blender or immersion blender
ice cream maker (use according to instruction)
1 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
4 medium peaches, slightly under-ripe, peeled, pitted and diced
2 tsp peach flavor, available from LorAnn Oils
1 1/2 (scant) cup unsweetened almond-coconut milk
3 T vodka or peach or orange liquor
1. Freeze the ice cream container at least a day ahead.
2.Prepare the peaches
3. Make a simple syrup, mixing water and sugar and heating to a slow simmer. Turn off the heat, add the peaches and cover the pot. Cool
4. Puree approximately half of the syrup and fruit. Mix with the un-pureed portion. Cover and chill at least six hours
5. Chill the almond-coconut milk at this time
6. Mix the fruit puree, peach flavor and almond-coconut milk
7. Pour mixture into frozen container and process according to the machine instructions.
8. Just before you are ready to stop processing add 3 T of vodka or liquor, process another few minutes.
9. Pour into a clean container, cover and freeze further to desired consistency.
Enjoy and cool off !