Gluten Free Brownies (kosher for Passover)
(Made with tree nuts, gluten free, kosher for Passover)I've noticed that the Haroset Cookie Bars posting has had a number of "hits" this week, perhaps because Passover is coming. While the Haroset (which is fabulous) IS KOSHER for Passover, the cookie bar itself IS NOT.
These are the brownies we make for Passover. Adam and I worked on the recipe several years ago, modifying serveral other recipes we read and using olive oil instead of the horrible kosher for Passover margarine. For those unfamiliar with Passover baking, yeast is forbidden, leavening agents are either beaten egg whites or baking powder that is marked "kosher for Passover." There is no matzah meal in this recipe; therefore, Mikah will tell you they do not have the "Passover taste," (a negative taste in her book). To those who are concerned, this recipe is "non-gebrochts."
Because I actually baked this batch before Passover, I used Dominoes sugar and stevia blend instead of plain sugar. I'm not sure that the sugar and stevia blend makes this a friendly recipe for a person with diabetes, it is a bit lower in calories. The sugar substitute worked well although not quite as delicious as sugar. This mixture is not marked for Passover.
Passover cake recipes are a bit tricky, egg whites are almost always beaten separately. Beat them until very stiff, and then add a bit of salt to help the eggs remain stiff.
You also must make sure that when you beat the egg yolks, either with sugar, oil (or both) you mix well - medium to high speed. The yolks will turn a beautiful deep yellow color:
It's best to have all of the ingredients measured and prepared to work quickly. I beat the egg whites first and therefore start them in the clean mixing bowl. I lined the brownie (square) baking pan with parchment paper.
7 oz bittersweet chocolate
10 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 c + 2 Tbsp granular sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla sugar
6 large eggs (separated)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
2 c ground nuts (walnuts, almonds or hazelnuts)
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees .
- Measure the ingredients.
- Line the pan with parchment paper.
- Weigh and melt the chocolate (melt in the microwave). Use a heat-proof glass measuring cup.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and shiny, add the salt, mix again and pour the stiff egg whites into a large bowl.
- Beat together the oil and sugar, add the egg yolks .
- Add the ground nuts.
- Add the cooled chocolate.
- Add the beaten egg whites. Once you add the egg whites mix until just blended.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Place on top rack of the oven, lower heat to 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 325 degrees and continue to bake for 25 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a tester in the center. You do not want to over bake.
- Remove from oven and cool before slicing. The cake will have risen and then start to deflate.
- These brownies keep well for several days when covered well and stored in the fridge. They freeze well.