Chinese Steamed Buns (meat fillings)
Meat Fillings for Chinese Steamed Buns
BBQ brisket filling (filling 1)
1 lb- 2nd cut brisket (the fattier the better) marindated (between 1 hour through overnight) in the following mixture:
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp good quality soy sauce
- 1 finely chopped scallion
- freshly ground black pepper (about 1/8 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp chinese 5 spice powder (optional)
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp Sherry (dry would be better, but the only kosher Sherry I know about is Kedem - not great quality and sweet)
Marinate the meat for a minimum of 30 minutes up to overnight (in fridge) .
Pour the mixture into a disposable aluminum pan, place the meat in the marinade and cook in the BBQ, over indirect heat for about 90 minutes (the meat needs to be well done)
While the meat is cooking, dice (finely) 3 scallions and 3-4 cloves garlic. Set aside
Remove the meat and grill for several minutes on each side, reserve the marinade
Place meat on a cutting surface, allow to cool until you can comfortably handle.
In the meantime: pour the marinade into a small saucepan, add the scallion and garlic. Boil slowly for 2-3 minutes, add 2 Tbsp hoisin, 2 Tbsp sherry and boil a bit more.
Thicken the sauce with 1 heaping Tbsp cornstarch (dissolve the cornstarch into 1 tsp cold water, pour into boiling marinade, mix and continue to cook for a minute or so and then turn off the heat.
Chop the meat into very small pieces, mix into the sauce. Use the mixture for the steamed bun filling. Wei-Chun's Cookbook also recommends that you accompany the meat mixture with rice (and in that case....no steamed buns!)
Chicken Filling (filling 2)
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1-2 Tbsp diced scallion (1 stalk?)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1-2 Tbsp neutral oil, mixed with 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp rice wine or sherry
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 c diced canned bamboo shoots
- 1/2 c diced button mushrooms
- 1 tsp good quality soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Heat the oil, saute scallion, garlic and ginger.
Add the chicken , cook until the chicken is white (no pink left)
Add the bamboo shoots, mushrooms, soy sauce and black pepper
Dissolve the cornstarch in 1 tsp cold water, mix with the sherry or rice wine and pour into the chicken mixture.
Mix and cook for another minute or two.
Cool to the point where you can handle and use for filling in steamed buns.